The Associate Level Course is the foundation-level course in the OG approach. Classes provide hands-on opportunities to learn the structure of the English language and practice multisensory techniques for teaching reading, spelling and handwriting. Presentations include lectures, multisensory experiences and teaching demonstrations.
Homework requirements include the completion of required readings, written summaries, lesson plans and quizzes.
The Associate Course includes the following topics:
• Dyslexia and reading disorders
• The rationale of the Orton-Gillingham approach
• Phonology & phonological awareness
• Basic and intermediate phonics for reading and spelling
• The motor component and the writing process
• The lesson plan and teaching materials
• History of the English Language
• Advanced phonics for reading and spelling (morphology)
• Assessment and diagnostic teaching
• Reading comprehension and fluency
• Grammar and elements of a sentence/sentence types
• Expository Writing (basic paragraph to essay)
• The Academy structure and requirements